Contact Us Today to Enroll Your Child at Kavod
School Tours/Information Sessions
If you are interested in enrolling for the 2016-2017 school year, please contact Kavod to schedule a personal tour. If you are interested in enrolling in subsequent years, we will be offering tours on the following dates, please sign up by clicking the direct tour link below:
– April 25th 10:30am
Direct link to sign up for a tour: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/10C0D4EADAC29AAF94-school4
In order to limit distraction to our current students, unless a parent is considering Kavod for the current school year, tours of classes are only provided at the scheduled time. Kavod cannot accommodate single individual tours during the day as it is not conducive to the learning environment of our students. Thank you for understanding.
Applications for Intent to Enroll.
The Lottery Window for 2017-2018 has closed. There are available spots for some classes. Please contact Kavod or use the schoolmint portal above to complete an application for more information.
To apply for the current school year, please call 858.386.0887
Lottery for 2017-2018 will take place at 2pm on March 8th at the Kavod campus.
Spaces in the lottery for 2017-2018: Kinder: 51 1st: 5 2nd: 4 3rd:7 4th: 0 5: 5
PUBLIC RANDOM DRAWING
Applications will be accepted during a publicly advertised open enrollment period each year for enrollment in the following school year. Following the open enrollment period each year, applications shall be counted to determine whether any grade level has received more applications than availability. In the event that this happens, the Charter School will hold a public random drawing (“lottery”) to determine admission for the impacted grade level, with the exception of existing students, who are guaranteed admission in the following school year. In accordance with Education Code Section 47605(d)(2)(B), admission preferences in the case of a lottery shall be given to the following students in the following order:
- Students already enrolled are exempt from the lottery.
- Siblings of students already enrolled at Kavod shall be exempt from the lottery unless the sibling is to enroll in a grade that has all of its spaces already filled, in which case the sibling would be put on the waiting list for admission to that grade ahead of all other students.
- Children of Founders and/or Faculty/Staff and Board shall be exempt from the lottery, unless the number admitted by this exemption would exceed ten (10) percent of total enrollment at Kavod or unless the student would enroll in a grade that has all of its spaces already filled. (A list of founders and a definition of who is considered faculty/staff and Board is on file at the school and within the school policies.)
- If a student cannot be admitted for either of the above reasons, the student’s name will be entered in the lottery as either a resident or nonresident of SDUSD to be randomly drawn and offered admission or placed on a waiting list.
- All students in the lottery living in the San Diego Unified School District boundaries will receive weighted drawing preference over students living outside the SDUSD boundaries by having their names submitted twice in the lottery pool.
IMPLEMENTATION OF RANDOM PUBLIC LOTTERY
If Kavod Elementary receives a number of applications from potential students exceeding the number of spaces available within any grade level, the school will conduct a random public lottery, designed to establish a diverse student population.
- During an open enrollment period, which will be at least 90 days long, interested parties will complete applications for their students in order to participate in the lottery, if one is needed.
- Information will be available in English, and upon request in Spanish and Hebrew. School staff or volunteers will help any interested party with language or literacy barriers or physical disability to complete an application.
- The lottery will take place within 30 days of closing the open enrollment period.
- The lottery will take place on the school’s campus in a facility large enough to allow all interested parties to observe the drawing, or at another public venue near the school large enough to accommodate all interested parties.
- The lottery will take place on a weekday, interested parties who wish to attend may do so, but their attendance is not required.
- Public random drawing rules, deadlines, dates and times will be communicated in the application form and on the Charter School’s website. Public notice for the date and time of the public random drawing will also be posted once the application deadline has passed.
- Prior to conducting the lottery, all interested parties will be told how many openings are available in the school in the different grades served by the school.
- The Charter School will conduct the lottery in the spring for enrollment in fall of that year.
- The single lottery shall include drawing names from pools of ballots differentiated by grade level.
- Kavod implements an automated program to run the lottery. If for any reason an automated system cannot be used, a representative of an outside agency or the organization confirming the results of the lottery shall draw the ballots. The school will involve at least three participants to execute the lottery.
- The lottery will begin with the highest grade that has available spaces and continue until all names for that grade level are drawn and then proceed to the next highest grade with available spaces, and so on.
- At the conclusion of the public random drawing, all students who were not granted admission due to capacity shall be given the option to put their name on a wait list according to their draw in the lottery. This waitlist will allow students the option of enrollment in the case of an opening during the current school year. In no circumstance will a waitlist carry over to the following school year.
- Families not attending the lottery shall be informed via email of their students’ selection or placement on a wait list.
- Families with students drawn for admission shall have 3 days (excluding weekends and Federal holidays) to respond to the offer of enrollment. In addition, the school shall attempt on at least one occasion to contact the parents/guardians of drawn students by telephone. Families not responding within the 3-day period will forfeit their offer of enrollment for that school year.
- Promotion Off Waiting List & Timeline to Respond: Potential students on the waiting list shall provide contact information for the School to use in the event space becomes available. Families promoted off the waiting list shall have 3 days (excluding weekends and Federal holidays) to the offer of enrollment. In addition, the school shall attempt on at least one occasion to contact the parents/guardians of promoted students by telephone.
- The waiting list will expire at the end of each school year. Interested parties not previously admitted must reapply during subsequent open enrollment periods.
- Any board approved changes to the lottery procedures will be kept on file at the Kavod Elementary Office.